Friday, October 3, 2008

Taxi Drivers and Cookies

Friday, October 3, 2008


Hi everyone! I´m heading to Baños in an hour, should be a good time. Think I´m going to get a massage there this time around, they´re supposed to be pretty good. Today was my last day at CEMOPLAF. Sad day, it was such a good experience. Today there was this adorable little boy that I played with for a while, totally made my day. And I even got all of my interviews done there, which was quite the endeavor. The clinic director didn´t initially give me permission to talk to the patients because she didn´t like that my questions implicated the quality of care CEMOPLAF provided. Olguita was really really nice and convinced the director to let me do the questions, which was amazing. The women at CEMOPLAF were younger on average than I´ve seen at the other clinics, and a lot of them were there solely to get contraceptives for the first time. As part of my survey I ask women if they´re using any kind of family planning, and today quite a few said no. I asked them afterwards why they weren´t using it, and all of them said it was because their husbands didn´t want them to. There were a few women getting birth control and just not telling their partners. How sad.

What else...Well, the quest for a reasonably priced trip to the Galapagos continues. Thought I had one lined up but it fell through. Drat. I think I´m just going to keep checking and hope that some good last minute deals pop up.

Last night our group had our welcome supper. Went to a Canadian themed buffet that was really really good. I ate so much. They even had calamari, which was probably some of the best I´ve ever had. And flan, so my happiness was pretty much complete. The day was genereally pretty crazy beforehand though. It´s a good story...(imagine that there is faraway music starting and the picture is fading out). I got a notice on Wednesday that I had a package to pick up at the post office. So after clinic on Thursday I decided to take a taxi to the office, cause I didn´t know where it was and I was in a rush (only 1.5 hours till my class, but you´d think that would be enough time to run to the post office...). My taxi driver was a very inappropriate 60 something man, who at one point told me that nights here are really cold, and he should probably come over and warm up my bed for me. Wow. Seriously. Wow. It was one of the most interesting taxi rides I´ve ever had, and I spent most of it trying to decide if he really was saying what I thought he was, or if my Spanish was just way worse than I thought. Sadly, I think I understood everything correctly. So anyway, get to the post office finally and escape the lude comments. I head on in, and wait in line. Then I pay $1. Why? I have no idea. Then I wait in another line, for a man who then takes me into the package room, finds my package and cuts it open to inspect the contents. Then I wait in another line. Why? I have no idea. A woman tells me I need to pay $9. Why? I tell her that I don´t have that much on me, I didn´t expect to have to pay that much. Okay, Okay, she says, $5.77, but that´s as low as she can go. Seriously, I was haggling over prices in a national post office. I still didn´t have it, so I had to run home and get more money. Grr. Returned 30 minutes later to wait again in line to pay the 5.77. The woman gave me a form, which I took to another line. The man there tells me I have to go make a copy of the form. So I run down the street to a copy place. Then I wait in another line with a stack of forms, sign a book, and FINALLY get my package. Only 2 hours later. It was so ridiculous! I did meet a nice guy from the states while I was waiting, peace corp volunteer in a nearby town. Anyway, the suspense definitely was getting to me, I really wanted to open my package!, but I had to go to class and then dinner, and only got to open it at 9 pm yesterday. Thanks so much Laura, you´re the best! The kids really loved the crayons and paper you sent, it thoroughly distracted them from their homework. I´m taking the oreos to Baños, good bus snack.

Alright, that´s about all I´ve got. I´ll post some pics when I get back from Baños, I have lots now of cute little kids. Thanks for reading!

New Word of the Day: wawa (kid, in Quichua)


Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Not really too much to report since my last update. I have a little bit of a cold, I suppose that’s something new. All that time with coughing children has finally caught up with me apparently. Speaking of coughing children, I am loving working at my clinic this week. It’s a CEMOPLAF clinic, which is a private clinic that mainly focuses on reproductive health and family planning, but also offers other services to subsidize costs. I’m following a pediatrician there. Her name is Olga, and true to Ecuadorian style (everything gets ita/ito added to the end here…) people call her “Olgita”. Classic. The kids there are so adorable. There have been lots with “el gripe” (colds), a little boy with pneumonia, a few kids with chicken pox, and one unexplained case of vomiting. Oh, and my personal favorite, a 2 month old boy with uneven legs who the doctor thought might have hip dysplasia. I got to see what the exam they do for that looks like, which was pretty cool. It was so weird to be on the other side of a hip dysplasia discussion. Tomorrow Olga is going to let me do the height and weight measurements for all the kiddies. I’m pretty pumped. It’s so hard to think in metric, though!

Other than the awesome time at the clinic, not much is new. I’ve been looking into trips to the Galapagos. Pretty pricey, but it’s one of those once in a lifetime opportunity things I suppose, and while I’m here I figure I can’t pass it up. The other travel option is Machu Picchu in Peru. Such a tough call! But I figured that the natural wonder wins out. Machu Picchu probably has a better chance of lasting in the long haul. This weekend I’m heading back to Banos with the new group. I think this time I’m going to do white water rafting and a massage, just to mix it up a little. And the next weekend is a jungle trip! I’m so excited! We’re actually going into hard core jungle, where you have to use a machete to cut through the forest and everything. Apparently there will be piranha fishing. How cool!

New Word of the Day: recoger (to pick up)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,

It looks like you are enjoying your trip around Ecuador. It is really a beautiful country with such a diversity of climates and people. Don't forget to visit the Galapagos Islands because that is a unique location in the world due to its amazing wildlife and landscapes.

Contact me if you still need some help to find a good priced Galapagos tour
Zuri

Anonymous said...

Hopefully it was worth the wait--that's crazy! And, I owe you $6.77. :o)

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Yummy!

Yummy!
Here´s the larva I ate. These were the steamed version, which wasn´t my favorite. The bear is just there for style.

My piranha.

My piranha.
This is the flesh eating fish I caught and ate. It´s a vicious circle all right.

I just really like this picture.

I just really like this picture.
There was just this one random red lead in this plant, and it looked so cool!

El Pene del Diablo

El Pene del Diablo
Here it is (I know you were all curious), the Devil´s Penis root. Enough said.

My Jungle Pants.

My Jungle Pants.
This is my super awesome jungle hiking outfit. Rubber boots, striped blue hippy pants, and yellow floral tshirt. I felt kind of at home trudging around in those boots.

The Cocodilo!

The Cocodilo!
This is one of the crocodiles/alligators (we´re not quite sure which one it is, there is some confusion...) we saw from our canoe.

Our Cabin.

Our Cabin.
Here´s our cabana in the jungle. It was all divided up into little rooms, kind of cute. In a bug infested way.

The jungle.

The jungle.
Here´s the view from our canoe on the ride across the lake to our camp. It was so gorgeous!!

I have an arrow on my head.

I have an arrow on my head.
This is me being painted by the shaman before our jungle hike. The ¨paint¨ was from the little green fruits in his hand.

Interviewing!

Interviewing!
Here´s me doing my thing at Cochapamba. It´s pretty exciting, I know...

Me and my sweet helmet.

Me and my sweet helmet.
I felt so sexy in this bike helmet. Seriously.

In Baños

In Baños
This is the view from my bikeride in Baños this weekend. Isn´t it just gorgeous? Best bike ride ever.

Hip Dysplasia Check

Hip Dysplasia Check
This is Olguita doing a hip dysplasia check on a little boy.

Cutey Pie!

Cutey Pie!
This is my little amigo at CEMOPLAF. We played with blocks. It was a good time. In this pic he´s being weighed.

Chivas!

Chivas!
Here is some of the girl on the Chivas Bus. The drink Melissa is holding in the front is an alcoholic beverage that tastes like cinnamon. Yummy.

Rickety ladder of death.

Rickety ladder of death.
This in mi amiga Anu climbing the rickety ladder of death to the top of the Basilica.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Oh. My. Gosh.
These are the deserts we had at Crepes and Waffles. SOOOOOO delicious. Mine was the carmally one right in the front. That´s right, I know you´re jealous.

On the Ecuator

On the Ecuator
Here I am on the ecuator, the mitad del mundo. Woohoo!

Ahoy maties!

Ahoy maties!
These are the whales we saw from the boat to Isla de la Plata! I have no idea what kind they are! I must do more research and get back to you! But they were so cool!

Yes, I know I have crazy hair...

Yes, I know I have crazy hair...
This is me on the island. It was windy, okay? Geesh, some people. By the way, there´s a legend that the island has buried treasure somewhere. I didn´t find it. Sad day.

Boobies!

Boobies!
These are the famous blue footed boobies. They were pretty funny to watch, they really waddle! So many boobies in such a short time...

More boobies!

More boobies!
This is a different species of boobie. No blue feet. I think it´s called that Nazka Boobie in English, which so isn´t as fun as blue footed boobie. Maybe orange pointed boobie? Just a suggestion.

The Shaman

The Shaman
Here is the shaman doing her thing with the cuy. Sorry I´m in my bra for you all to see, couldn´t be helped. And its a nice bra.

Shaman Take 2

Shaman Take 2
Same idea, just from the back. She was really shaking the cuy all over! And doesn´t she have a really cool bracelet?

The Diagnosis

The Diagnosis
This is the shaman cutting open the dead cuy to read its body. I was kind of amazed that she just squatted down on the floor, didn´t even use a table. She´s got mad skills. Oh, and since it was a health center, she put everything into little red biohazard bags.

Pouring the Antiseptic

Pouring the Antiseptic
Oh yeah, me in my prime. This was for one of those ladies with a leg ulcer. She was very cute. I know you can´t tell from that part of her foot in the picture, but you´ll have to take my word for it.

Meeting the Minister

Meeting the Minister
This is me and my fellow student Carrie with the Minister of Health at a public health center. How cool is that? We´re practically celebrities.

The Hat!

The Hat!
This is my sweet new indigenous style hat, bought it in the Otavalo market. Also bought the scarf and filled up that bag...it was a good shopping day!

The Market

The Market
This doesn't do the market justice, there are so many people and colors!

El Grupo

El Grupo
All the students at a hill overlooking the city

My Artistic Endeavor

My Artistic Endeavor
Took this from the window while the taxi driver was stuck but still trying. Oh taxi drivers....

View of the City

View of the City
This place is huge! Seriously. And very long. With pretty mountains.

La Virgen

La Virgen
She´s supposed to protect Quito from the apocalypse. Quite the lady.